Monday, October 17, 2016

How Kate Maini survived the Pulse shooting.

Kate Maini moved to Orlando from Boston. She is far more beautiful than my humble sketch. She discovered she could be herself here and she found a strong sense of community. She met a beautiful woman, got married and together they are raising a son.

On June 12th it was a typical night at the Pulse nightclub. Dancing, drinking and laughter. She remembers, it was 1:55am and last call, so she was busy pouring drinks. She heard three loud bangs, and then ten more loud gun shots in quick succession. She dropped down behind the bar. Three more people ran behind the bar. There was screaming and running and broken glass. She rolled under a glass rack that holds glasses but her legs were still sticking out. She didn't quite fit.

She noticed her cell phone up on the bar and she reached up to grab it. She realizes now that that move could her have gotten her killed. She quickly texted several friends in a panic. She grabbed a young boy and pulled him close. She told him she loved him because she wanted that to be the last thing he heard before they died. Glass kept shattering and falling on her chest.

She began to imagine the pain of being shot. Could she handle the pain? Later inspection of the bar showed that some of those bullets came within inches of hitting her. "It is the scariest thing I ever felt." she said. She is lucky to be alive. Had the gunman looked behind the bar, she and the three with her would be dead. She wondered what her son's mother would tell him. She wanted to live for him. She heard the gunman come and go along with gun shots throughout the entire three hour nightmare. She dismissed the notion of two gunman because she could follow the footsteps and gunshots at every moment.

At the end of the siege, police escorted the survivors from behind the bar. For the first time she saw the piles of bodies and the blood. A vivid memory is of the broken glass of the waterfall at the front entrance. Three people rushed by carrying a body. The police asked them to take their shirts off to cover wounds. She had two shirts and also took off her socks and tied them over bullet holes. She felt disbelief and shock. In her dazed state she picked up someone's shoes and shirt and they were covered in blood. Realizing this, she dropped them. How could this happen?

When she finally got home, her son was still asleep. Although separated from her partner, she was there, and they held each of the for an eternity and cried. "Call your loved ones and tell them you love them. Tomorrow is not a promise." Kate said.

Due to my impending divorce, I am no longer ALLOWED to sell my artwork. I therefore have no means of income. I apologize to any interested buyers. I will post when I am again allowed to earn a living.

No comments: