13 artistic projects in 2013. Determined to focus on his artistic passions in the new year, Joseph will spend the next 12 months bringing 13 separate creative projects to life. His “13 in 13” project takes everything he’s learned as a playwright, music producer, freelance writer, radio guy, spoken word performer, photographer, voracious techno-geek, and shameless self-promoter to energize one art-filled year of events and engage and excite Orlando and a worldwide Internet audience. The first event on February. 5th will be a screening of "Big Easy Express", an area-exclusive screening of the critically-acclaimed, Grammy-nominated movie at the Cobb Plaza 12 in downtown Orlando. I sketched the theater as the sun set on another business day. The movie tickets to this screening must be reserved by January 30th. As of this writing, 16 more tickets needed to be sold to guarantee that the theater is reserved. Get your tickets now.
The 13 productions in 2013 will be financed in part by a Kickstarter
crowd-funding campaign, which ends January 27th, and will include five
Hayes-produced jazz shows, two of his original plays and a brand-new
live Holiday radio drama, two workshops, a photo exhibit, a movie
screening and a spoken-word performance. In designing this ambitious
year-long project, Hayes will bring his work and the talents of many
local musicians and actors to new audiences in person and online during
live streaming events. Hayes has designed the Kickstarter campaign to help engage theater and
jazz lovers in Orlando. “I’m asking my audience to help me create this
year of art, and spread the word. I’m excited about what I’m going to
attempt in 2013, and I think together we just might make it happen,” he
Every artist involved — 19 musicians, 11 actors, 8 directors and theater
technicians, 4 writers, 1 chef, a sound-effects person — will get paid,
because Hayes believes talent and art have great value, and that value
should be rewarded. Videos, audio recordings, photo books and posters
will be created for each project, and most of the events will be open to
the public, some at no charge. Many of them will be streamed online, as
was his breakthrough United Arts of Central Florida-funded House
Theater Project in 2012, which staged his play "A Little Crazy" in his
living room and reached viewers as far afield as England, Italy and
13 in 13 Events:
1. Feb. 5: "Big Easy Express", an area-exclusive screening of the
critically-acclaimed, Grammy-nominated movie at the Cobb Plaza 12 in
2. Feb. 9: "Creating an Audience and Shameless Self-Promotion", a
Downtown Credo Conduit workshop by freelance writers and guerrilla
marketers Jennifer Greenhill-Taylor and Joseph Hayes.
3. April 4: Trumpeter Brian Groder and pianist Tonino Miano — musicians,
composers and educators from New York — conduct a master class in
composition and jazz improvisation at the UCF Jazz Studies Department.
4. April 5: "Jazz in the Real World". Groder and Miano take their
students from the UCF Jazz program out of the classroom and into a real
5. April 7: "FluiDENSITY" premiere. Groder and Miano premiere their new CD of
modern classical/jazz improvisations at the Timucua White House.
6. June 25: "Jazz On Edge Supper Club". Vocalist Heather Friedman and
her trio perform at Hannibal's on the Square for a special dinner and
jazz supper club.
7. TBA: "SOLOS." House Theater Project production of Hayes’ Orlando Fringe Festival hit jazz play.
8. TBA: “SOLOS AFTER HOURS” — a House Theater Project/Jazz On Edge joint
presentation of "SOLOS" with a live band, followed by a cabaret
performance of the Solos Quartet with guest vocalist Lulu Picart.
9. TBA: “Water Cities", an exhibit of photographs of great world cities by Joseph Reed Hayes at Downtown Credo.
10. TBA: "13in13 Reading Series.” Spoken word performances by novelists
Julie Compton and Jennifer Greenhill-Taylor, playwright Joseph Reed
Hayes and poet Summer Rodman.
11. TBA: Jazz On Edge House Concert featuring the 5th anniversary Jazz On Edge presentation, which will be streamed live online.
12. TBA: House Theater Project will feature the world premiere of "A SLOW RIDE" by Joseph Reed Hayes. Streamed live online.
13. Dec. 2013: "THE LITTLE DICKENS," An original “radio drama”
production of Hayes’ cracking new Holiday show, presented in front of a
live audience and streamed online in audio and video versions for
enjoying by the fireside.